Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My Teaching Philosophy

My philosophy of teaching is something which has evolved over time. Many components have been consistently a part of this pragmatic philosophy. It is realistic and meaningful teaching and learning.

To be a good teacher, I should:

1. Have a thorough knowledge of the subject area.

We cannot teach something well unless we know it well. A thorough knowledge and experience of the subject of Physics allows me to see and make connections between seemingly diverse concepts and show these connections to the students.

2. Make the subject interesting for others so that they are more likely to learn it.

We must be able to communicate with our interest of field, and we must strive to engage our students. Genuine enthusiasm for the subject can be infectious. To keep my student interested, I use various teaching strategies so the class remains fresh and involved.

3. Be well-prepared.

A conscientious teacher should be well-prepared. Lesson plan should be created with clear objectives in mind. At the same time, a good teacher needs to be flexible enough to change the pace of a course and be willing to entertain, in detail, ideas or questions which arise spontaneously in the classroom.

4. Make the classroom a friendly, nonthreatening learning environment.

I believe that friendly, nonthreatening classroom maximizes the possibility for real learning to take place. I am sensitive to the fact that students view Physics as a “hard” subject. I make it clear from the first day that asking questions is a welcome and imperative part of the learning process. I encourage them to visit me in the office as often as necessary.

5. Understand that learning is an active experience

Students need to be active, not passive, participants in the adventure of learning. I use discovery type problems, to assist student in finding results on their own. I encourage my students to conjecture as well as to prove.

No comments:

Post a Comment